Wednesday, July 27, 2011

a flutter in sleep


The other night I was asleep and I felt a flutter and then something fairly large land on my chest. I immediately woke and pushed it off me. I sat up and said to my partner, "There's a bat in the house!"

I don't know how I assessed this situation to be bat related so quickly and while asleep but I guess I know my bats. It took a couple of minutes to confirm the fact and after a little while I was able to get the bat into a smaller room and then a smaller one still.

As I quickly closed the door of this last small room in order to contain him so I could open a second door and set it free, it fluttered around me and gently landed on my back and held on to my shirt for 30 seconds. It had such a gentle soft weight, I felt privileged to have this brief connection with this precious animal who's specie is in such jeopardy to a sickness that's wiping them out by the thousands.

I opened this second door to the night and off it fluttered to catch bugs. I'm so glad I had this experience.


If you would like to learn more about this problem concerning bats Google White Nose Syndrome.

No comments: