Thursday, July 20, 2006

homo sticker

You know the bumper stickers representing gay folks that are rainbows? I think they first started out as a little flag then graduated into the rainbow triangle.
When I was in my twenties I did my part in being here, queer, pointing and yelling 'get used to it'. I sported my share of stickers. But making a constant statement gets old and I don't care that the person driving behind me knows I'm gay and proud of who I am and angry I don't have the same rights he/she does even though I pay the same fucking taxes and am obligated to the same laws as they. The good and bad of being gay is only a part of me.
Be that said, I'm glad other people stick their colorful proclamations to their cars, especially young folks. Proud and strong is good. It's a decent expression of self acceptance...
But I've watched the gay rainbow stickers evolve into some ridiculous forms. Yesterday I saw gay lady bugs..WTF? There is a version of The Grateful Deads teddy bears in rainbow gay. Yay! We're gay! We're so cutesy!
I can't help but roll my eyes. Am I being judgemental? Condescending? Acting like an old person?
What are you thoughts on this? Bumper sticker cutesy=good or retarded? Lend me your thoughts, I'm willing to bend my opinions but I refuse to think rainbow ladybugs are anything but dumbass.

14 comments:

super des said...

I think people should probably stick to the classics - the flag or the triangle. It's gotten to the point that if I have somthing, a ladybug perhaps, that is rainbow, people say "You know that means you're gay, right?" And then I point out all the things in the world that are rainbow but have nothing to do with homosexuality.

I think other rainbow shapes are confusing. You don't have a white-power ladybug. (Not that you should have white power anything, but you know what I mean.)

kris dresen said...

Oh, I'm in agreement with you. Rainbow stickers are just so...gay. My workplace shares a parking lot with a venue that is hosting some of Gay Games events. So many cars with so many rainbow stickers in so many shapes! Cowboy boot, labrys, interlocking female symbols, hockey stick, cowboy hat, cat, shape of the state the car is from, dog, music note,an apple...Oh, wait. No. That was Mac sticker on the IT nerd's car.

IzzyMom said...

I'm with Des. It's a bit confusing. I think the classics are best.

IzzyMom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
IzzyMom said...

That was me...repeating myself again thanks to Blogger :)

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

'Cowboy boot, labrys, interlocking female symbols, hockey stick, cowboy hat, cat, shape of the state the car is from, dog, music note' <----this is the shit that drives me to annoyance.

bbuckman said...

How did the rainbow become the symbol for gaydom?

What is it's significance?

From too old to know this stuff.

Toastedsuzy said...

I was about to ask the same question.

Google says....

Toastedsuzy said...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3959060154459763874

Gilbert Baker = Gay Betsy Ross!

http://www.lambda.org/symbols.htm

MrsFortune said...

Okay, I'm biased here because I hate, hate hate stickers, t-shirts, everything else with an agenda. I heart allah. Jesus is my copilot. Rainbow triangle. All of it. So I'm with you, down with the ladybugs, stick with the classics. I couldn't agree more when you say that you don't care if the person behind you knows you're gay and proud of it. Although I see the point a lot more with human rights issues than religious issues, still, LIVE the principle, don't worry about making everyone else THINK you live it. Knowhuddimean? Sorry to leave a novel in your comments.

bbuckman said...

Thanks for the link toasty.

I now know more than I ever thought possible about gay symbols.

super des said...

oooh, well put Mrs.f!

NWO said...

I'm not a fan of bumper stickers in general. Unrelated to you question, but I saw one yesterday which said, "Keep honking: I'm reloading."

It's just not the place to spread philosophy.

Glenna said...

Some people are cutesy and gay. I'm glad they can buy stickers that are cutesy and gay at the same time. It makes me believe in the free market.

Bottom line is, I'm much less likely to hook up with someone if she's wearing a rainbow ladybug.