Friday, August 08, 2008

5:56 AM

With a loud crash a van drives into a building across the street. I crawl out of bed, look out window, assess situation for interest and drama value. Not much, so I don't run to get dressed.

Wander back to room, step over partially unpacked moving boxes looking for that hippy dress I use as a house frock. It's location, sandwiched between vintage pink vinyl purse containing bright pink dildo and partially unpacked box of shoes. Frock is wrinkled.

Slip into frock, shoes, grab phone as to dial 911 for the poor drunk fucker who drove into building. My mind is starting to wander, I call out in a loud and clear voice, "KEYS" in order to remind said brain what it's looking for.

I don't remember the walk down the stairs. Out on sidewalk, gypsy cab drivers have beat me to the scene and are strolling back to their cars chuckling. I have 911 operator on the phone, giving info, She asks, "Is anyone hurt?" I say, "I don't think so, the guy is sitting next to car looking like he feels stupid about running into a building, I mean, It's not like it ran out into the street in front of him.", 911 lady ignores my humor.

I stand, looking for a minute, not enough drama, my mind wanders back to the box of books a neighbor left to give away in the lobby of my building. Box of books wins my attention, I wander back to lobby and sit on floor reading. Early to work neighbors pass through lobby, see me sitting on floor, wonder what I'm doing. I put on my best, "Good Morning!" smile to convince them I'm not a transient who is camped out in the hall.

911 operator calls me back, "Hi, it's me the 911 operator, listen, the police are on the corner of 204 and Broadway and they don't see the van, can you tell me where it is again?", Me, "Well it's just south of them about 100 feet, next to the school, it's the green van on the sidewalk smashed into the building...."

I gather the ten books I've found from the box, which is good, they will refill what little space I created from getting rid of books when I moved. Go upstairs, make toast, lay in bed and read.

3 comments:

SUEB0B said...

I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU BLOGGING!! Yay. How are you?

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

I'm good. Thank you. How are you? It's been a while. alas..

Elena said...

Toast, bed, reading...ahhhhh.

I once called 911 to report that the bank was on fire. Mind you, this was in a small town in kinda-upstate NY. One bank. One fire. The operator called me back to tell me that the firefighters were there but couldn't find the fire, could I go back and help? I moved shortly thereafter.