Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rain and wire hangers

I went shopping with Kayla. Up to a mall in Westchester we went.
Jeans, socks, Q tips and those new Hershey Kisses with peanutbutter inside. We found everything and had enough time to get home to watch The Apprentice. As we were walking out to the car we were trying to determine where the keys were. Murdoch had them.

Murdoch was in the Jeep because he's a great car dog who would rather wait in the car for us than at home with the cats. We put him to the task of hitting the unlock button. "Shake Mur shake!" He would bring his paw up to shake our hands through the glass with a look that said we must be mad if we thought he would be able to shake through the window. Instead of saying as much, he just stopped trying. Meanwhile the chilly drizzle became a downpour with us in light jackets.
Back to the mall (an open, outside mall with rain), hands red, water streaming off me onto the floors of The Gap, Lane Bryant and Wet Seal asking for a wire hanger. "No wire hangers!" Joan Crawford screamed, whipping my backside from one store to the next.
Kayla was at another store asking for a plastic bag as her paper Gap bag's blue coloring was rubbing off on her cream colored pants and turning to mush at the same time.
It was about this point both of us started to feel like homeless folks relying on the kindness of strangers.
A call to a towing company. "$60 bucks plus tax in cash. He'll be there in 10." Said the tough lady on the phone. Out to the Jeep and the torrents of rain we went.
Pitiful and sad, we looked smaller than our normal sizes, younger and smaller. I watched us like two strangers I truly felt sorry for. I would have offered help if I wasn't one of us.
Our hero arrived in a very manly tow truck with big exciting lights and a macho sounding engine. He took his time making sure his hood was on before he got out. Tools in hand he walks around to me and says, "$60 bucks plus tax in cash and we're not responsible for damage." I said, "What kind of damage? And just so you know our dog will probably try to kill you through the window, sorry." Murdoch lunges and snarls. But who cares? We've got our hero and in two minutes he had our $60 bucks plus tax in cash."

2 comments:

SUEB0B said...

Great story. I love it. Can I link to you from my blog?

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Yes my friend, please do. Thank you.