Friday, April 14, 2006

Six Oddities

I was tagged to tell six facts about myself that are just-off-center.

Six Things About Me That Will Make You Think Twice About Being My Friend

1. When I'm out running errands or walking around, If I'm edgy or nervous, I find myself constantly looking in my bag. Unzip, zip, unzip, zip. I think I think something has fallen out.

2. I hate the smell of poop. I know this is normal, everyone does but, I fear it. If I have to go to the bathroom after someone just pooped, I have to be sure they sprayed before I can enter. If not, I will hold my breath, go in, spray, stand outside of the bathroom and fan the door frantically for a minute or two before doing my business. If someone pooped in a public bathroom I will hold until I find another.
This also poses a problem as I'm a dog walker and here in the great city of NY we pick up our dog's shit in plastic bags and carry it to trash cans which are, thank god, conveniently located on every corner. I am a pro at Up Wind/Down Wind. I know where I'm at at all times in position of the bag of poop and it's stink. I also have an amazing ability to hold my breath. Sometimes I've been holding my breath and not known until I became aware of the sound of blood pulsing through my head.

3. I covet socks. I love collecting them out of the dryer and finding their matches. I love folding them (I never pull one over the other as it stretches the elastic and this can not be tolerated). I love putting them away and arranging them. I don't share and I am very sad when they get holes.

4. Same with jeans. When they get holes in spots that are too revealing I try to repair. Usually this doesn't work so I wear boxers under them. When the rip travels around the leg and the boxers hang out of said hole I set them aside and contemplate the possibility that they might have to be given up. This process usually lasts about 2 weeks. I look at them everyday. Then the next stage is 'put them up in the closet', this lasts a month maybe more. Then one day I open the door, see them and realize I've forgotten about them and throw them in the trash.

5. I must be on time if not earlier. And I extend this expectation to people I know and resent them when they fail but don't tell them. Just take it out on them by being sullen for 5 or 10 minutes. Unless it's my mate then I'll rant and lecture.

6. I can't stand when strangers get closer than foot away from me. Again in NYC, this is a real challenge to overcome. Usually I am realistic enough to accept close walkers. Most people have lived here all their lives and have less need for personal space. But there are those days when I take it as a personal affront and resent the whole damn lot of them.

As I'm new to blogging I don't know six people to tag and half the people I do know have already been tagged so I will tag two people, one of which doesn't even read my blog, I don't think.
Mrs.Fortune (if you've already been tagged, sorry) and Spotted Elephant.

Here are the rules:

1. Reveal six weird facts/things/habits about yourself and then tag six people.

2. Leave a "You’re Tagged!" comment to let the people you have tagged know they have to reveal six things (or the entire blogosphere will explode and it will be their fault).

3. Leave me a comment letting me know that you have completed your mission (if you have chosen to accept it!?.

10 comments:

Mom101 said...

Oh I'm so with you on the promptness thing. We must be the only two people in nyc that share this trait, leading to much disappointment and quite a bit of sulking. I mean, how long do you have to live here to know that you don't take the F train from Cobble Hill at 8:30 if you have to be in midtown at 8:45? Grrrr....

MrsFortune said...

Oooh, yes, I ditto Mom101, I'm so anal about being on time, which sucks because my husband is NOT, he always makes us late, I freakin' hate it.

Um, can you come to my house and mine my washer/dryer for socks? And how do you fold them without turning the tops down over each other? I don't get it. You are a wealth of knowledge - pine litter, sock folding techniques ... do you know how to fold fitted sheets, too? :-)

I sorta did the meme, there's a link up in my current post about weird things about me from a while ago, but I couldn't think of anything additional, so ...

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

mom101 - exactly!

Mrs Fortune - yes I will mine for socks in your dryer.

Socks are meant to lovingly lay one on top of the other, folded in half. Like lovers spooning.

I do know how to fold fitted sheets, but it's hard to describe in writing.

Are you going to try the pine litter?

I'll check you post again for the link. I spaced.

SUEB0B said...

Haha. And we had to share a bathroom. Sorry for any stray poopage.

Socks - Greg will pay you to give me lessons. I lose about 3 socks per washload, somehow. It is a rare un-talent.

Here is how I fold sheets (I know this will NOT surprise you): I get a pillowcase. Find the matching sheets. Stuff them in the pillowcase. Voila. A set of sheets.

God I'm bad. You'd think I was raised by wolves instead of the nicest people on earth.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Sue- My poop paranoia developed long after I lived with you. :)
The sheet situation would send me in orbit.

SUEB0B said...

Bwwwaaa haaaa haaaaa. Sheets in a pillowcase! It makes such perfect sense to me. You don't hardly notice the wrinkles when you are asleep.

IzzyMom said...

lol...I'm the same about the poop smell. I totally try not to breathe if I'm in a public bathroom because the idea of someone elses turd-smell germs being in MY nose if just too much. The only exception would be my baby. If I had those issues with him, he'd never get changed. Amazing how nature provides for such things...lol

spotted elephant said...

Wow-this is my first tag.

But I'm really weird. I don't mean that the way a lot of people do when they say it, I'm *really* weird. How do I pick just 6?

I will comment when I'm finished.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Izzy- you have to be very brave to have children, what with the poop, barf and snot.

Spotted Elephant-The best thing about weird is it's so funny in writing. Please spill.

spotted elephant said...

I spilled. And I probably shouldn't have. ;)