Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I should have taken his picture

There is a bodega on the corner of my building. It's run by an Arabic family. They are so lovely. I think they're all brothers or cousins, whatever, they are lovely.

The most beautiful of the lot was working this morining. He made me coffee, light, one sugar. He said I could speak Arabic. If I can speak English I could speak Arabic. He said something about how America is the place where everyone comes and because of that English speakers can learn other languages with the help of all the other people...something, something.

It didn't make sense and I didn't care. He's so lovely and his energy is so open and friendly. He could have been speaking Arabic to me and it would have had the same effect.

4 comments:

Gr8lakesgrrl said...

That's how I feel about reading here, I wish I could take a picture of how it makes me feel sometimes. You are a beautiful writer and your honesty inspires me. Be blessed!

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Beth-What a generous and lovely thing to say to me. Thank you very much.

bbuckman said...

Just remember; no Mohammed jokes.

SUEB0B said...

Elementary Arabic lesson:

Greeting: As-salaam alaykum (peace be with you)
Response: Wa alaykum as-salaam (and with you, Peace)

Go to it, girl!