Saturday, October 07, 2006

an open hand and heart

The Amish girls that were killed..

A conservative evangelical pastor went to Pennsylvania from Washington DC right after he heard about the killings. He didn't go to the Amish but to the family of the killer because he knew their hell would be forgotten or ignored. I really liked that he'd done this. I respected him for it.

After, he visited an Amish family and watched a mother clean the body of her daughter for her wake and burial. He said the mother touched her body with such love. The grandfather stood by and told the children in the room not to judge the man who killed the girls. To not think evil of him because of what he did.

This is love.

And if I didn't fuck girls, love NYC, curse and think like a sailor I would want to be Amish. But quite frankly, even all of that aside, I'm not sure I could consistently hold such love and forgiveness in me. I am so moved by them.

4 comments:

super des said...

But you know they wouldn't think ou evil.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Des-I've often thought about writing and asking if I could come and stay in a community and work with them for a week or two. It would be an amazing experience.

SUEB0B said...

Rev. Cathy talked about this at church today, in the same way. But her reason for not being able to be Amish was that she loves beautiful clothes too much.

NWO said...

Exactly right. With all the crap in the world, it's nice to see anybody practice a form of religion that makes the world better, not worse.