Friday, September 29, 2006

bear country

There's someone I like....
She's an assistant director in Canada. We talk on the phone, Immediate Message, send each other videos (not that kind, dirty dirty minds) and she has a web cam, so's I's can see her cute face when's we talk.

Let me put that in past tense. We used to do all of that but since she started filming on a remote island near the Northwestern Territory we haven't been able to communicate on anything that requires a signal. She will occasionally find a spot where a miracle ray of signal happens to pass by her bear infested island and she can get on her laptop and write a line or two or text me on her phone.

I write to her too. Little emails, IMs and the very rare 35 cent phone text, knowing she's not going to get them for a month if ever. Our messages have become brief sad fits of 'I miss you, wish I could hear your voice, this sucks'. And we're feeling like temporarily star crossed lovers. Very dramatic, yeah so?

And last night, goddamn it, last night I'm fucking about on the computer, IMing with a friend and my phone rings. It says Unknown and I immediately think of this ridiculous client I have who often engages me in long conversations about how hilarious her dog/child is and the thought of listening to her and being polite was out of the question.

Why didn't I think maybe it was Unknown 'cause it was from a fucking pay phone in back woods, remote island, hunting lodge Canada..why? Why didn't I?

5 comments:

super des said...

I think you need to take a trip to Canada.

Bimbo said...

I think you didn't learn your lesson. I left a voicemail. But Des makes an exciting point. Flee, flee on your scooter to Canada before the tundra comes.

Pendullum said...

I, too, have used identicall and have been burned by not picking up...
My favourite is when a friend is calling long distance from a distant land and it rings as a local number...

Anonymous said...

Going to Canada should only be the LAST option in ANY situation. ;)

Steve~

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

alas, Canada...for a visit I will go. But Steven- love you! When you're in NYC why go anywhere else?