Sunday, September 10, 2006

roots

There was a guy at my friends brunch party who was telling us about a family reunion he went to yesterday. It was on the land owned by his family for four generations.

His great-grandparents were from Hungry. They came here, bought land and created a farm and a hotel which the family ran for, I think, two generations.

He remembered his grandmother talking about how her parents died when she and her siblings were very young. The kid's aunts and uncles cared for them as they continued to work the farm and the hotel.

There was a big tree that sat near the lake. The kids, missing their dead parents and grandparents designated this tree to be their grandmother. They would each take turns sitting between it's roots, leaning into it's trunk pretending to be held by her.

These children are now very old and they still tell people their grandmother was a tree who sat near the lake on the land their family owned.

8 comments:

Bimbo said...

That is just beautiful. I love it. Don't you feel rich now? Yay for stories about us!

super des said...

That's so sweet.

Toastedsuzy said...

That is totally . beau...I mean...swee...

Cool

Grood--good and great.

Love you,

TS

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Kristin Yay for knowing you baby.
Des-isn't it?
Toasty-Grood back.

I'm feeling like today and tomorrow are good days to be grateful for the people you love and respect.

Bimbo said...

Yay for us, yay for the cool girls and especially the not so cool girls and especially for the cool girls who think they're not so cool girls but they're really cool, cool girls!! Kay. That was embarrassing, but I'm so feeling it.

MagicalSis said...

I used to climb trees almost every single day when I was a kid. I always felt safe and nutured when in a tree with the branches all around me and being so high up. I haven't thought of that in a long time. This post reminded me.

I like your blog.

Namaste.

kris dresen said...

That's an awesome story. Sounds like something that could have been in Dandelion Wine.

Gr8lakesgrrl said...

That's a wonderful story. I could feel myself being cradled by the roots of the tree, very cool.