Sunday, September 24, 2006

re-fart

It was Game Night, Cake Night last night, which is exactly what it sounds like. I arrived at M and S's apartment where Scrabble had already started. I enter the game two turns behind and start eating chocolate chip cookies with milk. (Cookies are an acceptable form of cake-ish food for Game Night, Cake night.)

The board is difficult as the words are all clustered to the bottom and there has been a struggle to come up with good words. My first word is made with just a P making POO, POOP. Nice.

We continue with DAILY, COMA and REHEM (re-hem is mine), which is questionable because it needs a hyphen but clothes can be re-hemmed and we're desperate for words so it squeezes by.

S and I look to the northern reaches of our board which is still uncharted territory with unlimited resources to be exploited. M and J start to sing Boy George's Karma Chameleon song with the words on the board. Coma, Coma, Daily Sex Rehem....Poop and Rehem...Poop and Reheeee'eemmm.

S is struggling with his shitty letters so he argues that technically re-fart is a word, just like re-hem. But it's not cause you can't re-fart. He gives his argument's example; Farting Contest. Contestant number two comes to the microphone, he tries to fart and is distracted by a screaming child in the stands and asks to try again. The judge says, "Contestant number two will re-fart."

Fair enough, it works in this example but it doesn't matter to M, J and I. One can not re-fart. One can re-hem as there is still a hem to redo but you cannot collect the already farted fart and re-fart. S is reluctant but concedes.

By this point I've eaten three cookies, a piece of organic cake with a glass of milk, most of the bowl of popcorn and a beer that N who just came in has brought.

Eventually we conquer some the of the unused northern board and in the end I win the game even after coming in late. I gloat about this now as I have very little formal schooling and my friends are all graduates of impressive universities and all are educators themselves.

We eat and drink more, laugh and joke. We move on to another game in the living room but I won't go into it's details as I didn't win, so what's the point?

7 comments:

super des said...

I love scrabble, but I never win. That sounds like fun though. I love game night, cake night.

Pioneer Woman said...

I am crrrrracking up at the re-fart argument. It really took the word fart to a cerebral plane.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Des-Game night, Cake night is a long standing ritual in this group of friends. They've all known each other since university and their connections are so charming..

Ree-yes the cerebral level of the re-fart argument was truly hilarious when I stepped out of myself and listened to it as a stranger. Good stuff.

bbuckman said...

I'm with M,J and you on the re-fart controversy.

The judge may say: Contestant number 2 may have a re-try at farting but, a re-fart, no,no, never!

S's arguement stinks.

bbuckman said...

I'm with M,J and you on the re-fart controversy.

The judge may say: Contestant number 2 may have a re-try at farting but, a re-fart, no,no, never!

S's arguement stinks.

bbuckman said...

What happened! Have I done a re-comment?

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Dad-LOL...shit happens..but never a re-shit.