Wednesday, May 10, 2006

And he doesn't like ice cubes on his paw

My dog stepped on a wasp today.
He loves to rub in the bushes in the park. It's his bliss and it's my bliss to watch him. All dog worries, grumpy moods and fears disappear when he's leaning against the branches of a bush, pushing his face into the leaves. He smiles.
He was walking through and under the leaves, pressing his face into the branches when his lazy rhythm turned to a quick exit. He came to me with his head down and nestled between my feet and lifted his back leg in pain. I looked under the bush and a wasp was crawling on the ground.
I'm not so maternal when it comes to human kids. You'll never hear me say, "I love children." I like some of them, some I don't. But when it comes to my little furry beloveds, I am crushed when they are in pain and the look of fear in my dogs eyes sent my stomach into a lurch. At first he couldn't walk on his leg and I almost panicked and hailed a cab to take my dog the vet. Then I pulled it together and decided I might need to carry him (70 pounds) two blocks to the apartment. Sure.
It's a very uncomfortable knowing I can't solve the problem. I can't make it all better.
Luckily Mur (my dog) wasn't allergic to wasps, he walked the pain off and by the time we got back to the apartment his main concern was dinner.

4 comments:

belledame222 said...

Poor pup!! glad he's feeling better.

SUEB0B said...

Awwww...poor Mur...I have had the same panic out on hikes when Goldie has messed herself up (in the cactus, urgh).

MrsFortune said...

Awwww ... I know, I feel the same way with my dog, if she's in pain I cannot STAND it, especially since she can't verbalize it, you know? It tears my heart out. :(

IzzyMom said...

I'm a huge lover of both animals and children and it sucks when they are hurt. Poor doggie :)