Thursday, May 25, 2006

I thought of him all day

A homeless man was wandering by the train as it sat stopped in the station. He had a piece of blue tape over one eye to keep it closed. He didn't look up, only down at nothing.
Most homeless folks that I encounter have an edge. They have their metaphysical dukes up. Protecting themselves from the rest of us and our disregard, disgust and sometimes fear of them.
But not this man. He looked beaten and so tired of his life. He was hopeless and sad. He wasn't asking for money, he wasn't looking to get on the train for a spot to sleep. He was just moving because there wasn't anything else for him to do.
Such a sharp pang of sadness ran through me. And still, I got on the train and did nothing. I wonder what I could have done, what would have mattered? And was I doing it for him or to end my own pain?
I hold these moments close to my heart because they remind me that there is so much more going on around me that matters.

6 comments:

Tupelo Honey said...

very beautiful post, if that makes sense...I think you already did everything you could do...you validated him as a fellow human...and acknowledged him. You didn't let him disappear...I think for people like you who choose to see, things like that and people in his situation keep us connected to our humanity. We can't fix everything/everyone, but that doesn't mean we pretend they don't exist. Don't have guilt for bringing him out of the shadows and making him real.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Shannon, thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it.

super des said...

I agree with Shannon. Well put, both of you.

SUEB0B said...

It's hard to know what to do.

Janet Evening said...

What would Jesus do? Probably silently bless him and leave it to heaven. Same as you.

belledame222 said...

Yeah. See; listen, maybe, if someone seems to need to talk and you feel you can be open to hearing. It really matters.