Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'll take that, thank you

After work I went to the park near where I live to sit in the grass and let go of my day. I had bought an apple earlier and had been feeding various squirrels I had encountered. (Background info: For those of you who don't know, I have a dog walking business and I'm in the parks all day.)
For some reason the squirrels in this particular park, whom I didn't know seemed to know somewhere in my stuff there was something for them. Mind you my apple is in a plastic bad in my tote bag. Four squirrels hopped over to me within the first two or three minutes.
I unwrapped the apple and started to dole it out. One of the squirrels seemed intent on eating apple but only picked up one piece. After that she kept close, making moves as if she were asking for more but never picking up the pieces I gave her.
I had a sneaking suspicion she wanted to be in charge of the apple itself. I held out what was left and she ran up and bit into it, I didn't let go, she took her hand and pushed it out of mine and took it away for herself.
If I were to interpret this behavior through human experience I would say she's a selfish squirrel.

5 comments:

super des said...

They know you associate with me; they are trying to get at me through you. if they butter you up, you will accidentally spill my whereabouts. Be strong! Don't give in!

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

I'm planning on bringing you to them...hehehe

super des said...

I knew it! All that talk of luring me to the park...

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

yes, but I will prove to you that they aren't evil. They just want your apple...That's not some wierd sexual reference either.

IzzyMom said...

I like squirrels, even though they will steal the food right off your table at the park. They're just used to people and have no fear. Nonetheless, I am fond of them and think their teeny little hand-like paws are way cute.