Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Only a 40 minute set

My friend M. and I went to see a couple of friends, Y. and T. perform in their band. As we walked up I saw T. outside the club and I knew we'd missed the show. I touched his shoulder, he was soaked with sweat, which bummed me out more cause I knew it had been a good show. I gave my apologies for being late and we decided not to stay for the other bands.

We walked up 6th ave into the village. Fucking hot. Like 100 degrees hot. The city is a maze down here, the streets cross and wind in a charming way unless you're looking for that cute women's bar on that one corner that's maybe west of 7th but you're not sure.

We passed this great sweets shop and all I wanted to do was eat cookies and drink lots of water but M. wanted to press on. I was trying to find a dyke I could ask directions to the bar. Being in the village it would seem like an easy task. they must have been inside. In the AC. Eating cookies.

We wandered in a circle and ended up in front of my sweet shop again. At this point I was pissy and I really wanted cookies, maybe even cake and lots of water. As I was stepping inside, my friend found a dyke. Clearly getting what I wanted wasn't going to happen so I walked over to listen to the bad directions the dyke was giving M., knowing full well he was only half listening, assuming I was getting it all.

Her, "Oh yeah! Go that way to the next street. Cross 7th." Pointing in direction away from 7th.
Me, "Ok go down this street?" pointing towards street leading to 7th.
Her, "Yeah just go that way and find Hudson." Again pointing away from 7th and Hudson but in a new direction.
Me, "So I go towards 7th," double jab point towards 7th to let her know where the fuck 7th is. "and Hudson is just past, the next street?"
Her, "Yeah, yeah the bars on Hudson."
Me, "left or right on Hudson?"
Her, "It's on Hudson. There's this other bar right near my apartment too.."
Me, "That's ok, thank you."

So after another 15 minutes of wandering we found the bar. The bouncer said guys can only come in with two girls..whaa? So I told M. we need to find a girl. He asked in his sweetest gay guy voice if she would make an exception and to my surprise we were in. God was the beer and AC good. Not like cookies but what the fuck.

6 comments:

SUEB0B said...

Good writing! I love the part about all the dykes being inside eating cookies...made me laugh hard.

super des said...

That's what they were doing. it was International Dyke Eating Cookie day. I can't believe you missed out.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

bob-thanks
des-you need to alert me to these holidays

Toastedsuzy said...

I just want to say that I think you are sweet!

I have a problem with people who ask me for directions, and this is it: I like to help, so a lot of times I will begin directing people where to go, knowing full well that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I am aware of this flaw in my character, so I've taken the first step toward recovery.

In the mean time, I should wear a sign: "Don't Ask Me"

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Toasty-So that was you sitting on the stoop, trying to help me?

bbuckman said...

There seems to be a human obligation to try to help when called upon.

In Mexico, people will launch into a series of gestures and explanations regarding where you are and where you ought to be.

Most of the time their information is badly flawed but, that is not what counts, it's the response to another's cry for help. It's a humanity thing.

All of which is great unless you really are lost and desperately need to get the hell out of there.