Wednesday, August 09, 2006

spell what?

I'm petsitting and I've been delinquent with my blog. Color me a bad blog mom.

I'm on my friends computer and I don't know how to use the friggin spell check so you will be able to tell what an ignoramous I am regarding spelling. I hate to admit this but I feel we're close enough for me to reveal it to you.

It's like we're dating and we're at that stage in our relationship where I'm sharing a vulnerable secret.

We're sitting at a little cafe, drinking wine. I'm gently rolling the glass, letting the ester of the wine make tracks down the sides..
I say, "I'm a bad speller. I often call my roommate J. to ask her how to spell something."
You nod, having a vague feeling you would rather I not confess anymore.
"I'm also an ignoramous about how to make words possessive. Does the ' go in between the last letter and the s always or are there times it goes after the s and when am I supposed to know when?"
You half heartedly smile, restraining yourself from asking me if I finished middle school.
"If you asked me to give examples of pronouns or advectives I wouldn't be able to. I also don't know when I'm supposed to use " or ' so I interchange them whenever I like."
I ask if you want more wine you say no and ask for the check. I go home wondering why you didn't kiss me goodnight.

8 comments:

Toastedsuzy said...

I would SOOOO kiss you good night.

I missed you.

bbuckman said...

Have you tried using a dictionary? Look in the 'Usage' or 'Style Manual' section.

Most of your questions will be quickly answered leaving you free to confess things that won't put your companions to sleep.

SUEB0B said...

You need help from the Apostrophe Liberation Front.

kris dresen said...

The managing editor at my place of employ - a woman I really respect - is a great writer but absolutely cannot spell. She sent me an email once without running it through spell check and I so busted her on it. Then she countered with my use of poor sentence structure and we were even steven.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

toasty-wweeeee! missed you too little rabbit...
Dad-feeling ashamed..
bob-writing this down.
maggie-I would like to think I'm a good writer despite my spelling and punctuation retardation..

kris dresen said...

That's what I'm sayin' - damn the spelling. As long as the content is good, that's what spell-check is for.

Toastedsuzy said...

Miller Williams' (My ol' Teachy Poet's) favorite typo:

Life is short; enjoy every minuet.

(He said one of his students wrote it, but he may have been stretching the truth.)

My favorite student typo: I get caught up in the fast paste of life.

See, bad spelling can work for you.

Elizabeth Bishop got whole poems out of bad-spelling.

super des said...

You can always come to me for spelling or punctuation questions. And I will always call you the next day so that we may go on another grammar date.