Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Gringa

I'm just one of those white girls that loves living in a predominately hispanic neighborhood. I didn't realize this until I moved up here to Inwood (Upper-Manhattan). Every country is represented in this neighborhood. I love it.
I tried to explain this to a Caucasian woman who asked me if I was uncomfortable living up here. "Not at all," I said, "I prefer it to the whiteness of the upper-westside." She wondered why, I did too. I told her it might be because I'm from Arizona and most of my friends, lovers and some family members are mexican. It's a culture I feel really comfortable with. Granted, all hispanic folks are not like Mexicans but they speak the same language, and have some similar social and religious beliefs.
My step-mom and one of my roommates are hispanic. Really, I can't get enough. Take me where the hispanics are and no one will get hurt.

6 comments:

SUEB0B said...

Claro que si. Todos somos Mexicanos en California y Arizona, no? Fue Mexico primera - y siempre.

super des said...

I was going to answer in spanish!

Bueno, puedes vivir sobre los personas de Puerto Rico, porque como he dio, no hay Mexicanos in Nueva York.

If you don't speak spanish, just smile & nod, & Suebob & I will continue our yammering. If you do speak spanish, even better.

IzzyMom said...

I live in Tampa which has a strong Hispanic population. The food. I love it. Cuban. Mexican. Puerto Rican. Spanish. All of it!

MrsFortune said...

I ditto what Iz said. The food!! There are so many latinos in Chicago that you can get whatever kind of spicy food you like - puerto rican, mexican, chilean, columbian... I'm salivating.

bbuckman said...

I love all of the food, except 'criadillas', most of the women, except one niece. I like some of the children and a few of the men.

I'm comfortable anywhere I love the food and most of the women.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Note-I'm also one of those white girls in a sea of brown latinos who doesn't speak a lick of spanish. My roommate from Paraguay doesn't speak any english. We pantomime until our link, Jane gets home. I know my dad, bbuckman, gets sick to death of being interpreter (it's a tough job) but Jane takes it in stride.