Thursday, June 22, 2006

No speak spanish

My roommate R. and a group of his friends from his GED class had a party celebrating the last class for the summer. The class he's in is for spanish speaking people, most of whom are new to the country. R. is from Paraguay and recently moved here because of his marriage to J. my other lovely roommate.
J. and I went with him expecting karaoke in a dark bar. We arrived at a restaurant where we were to sit at a long table with 15 hispanic folks all very jovial and welcoming. (You know my penchant for hispanics, it was warming up to be a good time). Granted there was a bit of discomfort for Jane and I, we knew no one and we decided early on we would be making our way home within an hour or so.
In the meantime these two women came to our table offering fancy shots with the alcohol brand they were made from written on the backs of their, tied in the front, short, cleavage sporting tops. One of them was leaning over the top of my chair, if I had leaned back I would have rested in her breasts.
A short time later these two were back again with more shots and maracas. Why they would hand out maracas to a band of drinking people in a restaurant with other patrons in it is beyond me. But we did what was expected, made large amounts of noise. One of the men there was having a birthday soon so we sung Happy B-Day about six times at the top of our lungs.
I was so caught up watching these people. The friendships, the flirtations and as I'm a person who is not comfortable in large groups of strangers I wondered why I was comfortable now. After some thought I realized it's because I don't speak spanish. They didn't expect anything from me. I got to be with them as an observer, I could take the time to stare in their faces and study all of them. No one noticed. Except the old guy with the birthday coming up.
At one point he indicated he would like me to get up and dance with him like the very sexy couple at our table had just done. I indicated that this would not happen but because of his amusing nature I expressed my desire that he should get up on the table and dance for all of us. He then indicated that I was a nutty gringa and that this would not be happening either.
No karaoke for J. like she hoped for but good times regardless.

4 comments:

super des said...

wow, what a good time. *jealous*

MrsFortune said...

No karaoke? Total bummer. Sounds like such a fun time though. How was the food? I bet it was killer.Oh wait, was there food or just booze? Either way, I woulda liked to have been there!

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Des-nah-nah na-nah nah...
If it's more planned I'll invite you and your chap next time. You would like it.
Mrs. Fortune, you need to move out here with hubby and little monkey man.

super des said...

des hearts karaoke. I'm trying to get a crew together for July 3.